Welcome to the iAngels Monthly Deal Digest, a summary of movements in the Israeli startup market.
This February we tracked 25 announced deals totaling $326M, and 2 exits totaling $52.5M, including the acquisition of Ivy by houzz for a reported $35M.
The leading sectors this month were Cybersecurity, with 4 financing rounds (Perception Point, CyberX, Morphisec and Aperio), Fintech with 4 financing rounds (Nayax, Tipalti, Blender and Bond) and the mobility sector with Moovit, Anagog, and Otonomo raising a total of $63M.
Read on for the full scoop!
February 2018 Investment Highlights
- Edgybees, a technology enabling augmented reality (AR) on high-speed platforms like drones and cars, has closed a $5.5M seed round from Motorola Solutions Venture Capital, and Verizon Ventures as well as OurCrowd, 8VC, NFX, and Aspect Ventures.
- Aperio Systems, a company protecting critical infrastructure from physical infrastructure manipulation, has raised a $2.5M seed round from Energias de Portugal, one of Europe’s largest utilities, Data Point Capital, Jump Capital and Scopus Ventures.
- PickSpace, a platform that aggregates co-working spaces, has raised $1M from Duby Frances, Sarona Ventures, and other investors.
- Bond, a personal finance solution that helps users to control and navigate personal finance through actionable insights, has raised $0.4M through Exit Valley.
Series A Rounds
- Nayax, a leading provider of cashless payment solutions for the vending machine sector has raised a $24.5M financing round from SafeCharge.
- CommonSense Robotics, a company developing AI and robotic tech to help online grocery retailers speed up fulfillment and delivery, has raised $20M in a Series A financing round led by Playground Global, with participation from previous investors Aleph VC and Eric Schmidt’s Innovation Endeavors.
- Honcker, a startup that acts as an aggregator and search engine for leasing services, has raised $15M from IAC, the media and marketplace giant behind services like Angie’s List and Tinder, as well as Daily Beast and Vimeo.
- Tunity, a developer of an app that syncs TV programs and streams live audio to users’ smartphones, has raised a $12M financing round led by MGM with participation from existing investors such as WeWork Founder and CEO Adam Neumann and John Mack, former Morgan Stanley CEO.
- MDClone, a developer of a system for preserving the privacy of medical information, while allowing any researcher to use it, has raised a $10M financing round from OrbiMed Advisors LLC and Lightspeed Ventures.
- Perception Point, a developer of a CPU-level technology that intercepts advanced attacks at an early stage of execution, has raised an $8M financing round led by Pitango Venture Capital along with State of Mind Ventures and Korea Investment Partners.
- GemmaCert, a cannabis analysis company allowing users to analyze cannabis and provides a reliable composition and potency readings, has raised a $2.25M financing round led by NEO Ventures, Stony Hill, and Arba Finance, combined with additional seed funding from Aggrinovation fund.
Series B Rounds
- CyberX, a developer of continuous ICS threat monitoring and risk mitigation platform for industrial control systems, has raised $18M in a Series B funding round, led by Norwest Venture Partners, including previous investors Glilot Capital Partners, Flint Capital, ff Venture Capital, and OurCrowd.
- Blender, a peer to peer lending platform, has raised $16M in capital and debt. The capital offering was led by Blumberg Capital, and the debt was raised from European Eiffel Investment Group.
- Morphisec, a cybersecurity company developing Moving Target Defense for Endpoints, has raised $12M in a Series B round of funding from Orange Digital Ventures, the digital investment arm of Orange, as well as existing investors Jerusalem Venture Partners, GE, and Deutsche Telekom.
- Perflow Medical, a medical device company that develops innovative tools for neurovascular interventions, has closed a $12M financing round from existing investors.
- Anagog, a developer of a technology that monitors and analyzes mobility patterns using smartphone sensors, has raised $10M ina Series B financing round from the German auto manufacturer Daimler.
- SMART Medical, a medical device company developing a novel add-on balloon device that assists visualization of the colonoscopy, has closed an $8M financing round led by Signet Healthcare Partners.
- Saturas, a company developing an Advanced Decision Support System (ADSS) for automatic irrigation based on a stem-water potential (SWP) sensor, has closed a $4M financing round from Hubei Forbon Technology Co. Ltd., a leader in the field of fertilizer additives for agriculture in China and worldwide, Ramat Magshimim, a collective farm in Israel, and Miguel Torres Winery SA, one of the largest wineries in Spain.
- Otonomo, a company that offers technology to monetize the data collected by cars, has closed a $3M investment from NTT Docomo Ventures Inc., the venture capital arm of the Japanese telecommunications company. This investment is in addition to a $25M B round raised by the company in April 2017.
- Moovit, a public mobility platform, has closed a $50M financing round led by Intel Capital in order to leverage its crowdsourced transportation data into a service for local governments.
- OrCam, a developer of Artificial vision device that helps blind and visually impaired people achieve increased independence, has raised $30.4M from Clal Insurance and Meitav Dash Investments Ltd., in exchange for a 3% stake in the company, valuing the company at over $1B. OrCam was co-founded by the founders of Mobileye, sold to Intel in 2017 for $15.3B.
- Tipalti, a cloud-based payables automation platform that helps CFOs scale payable operations for rapid and global growth, has closed a $30M Series C financing round led by Zeev Ventures.
- SQream, a database management platform, has closed a co-operation agreement with Alibaba Cloud, the cloud computing arm of China’s Alibaba Group. The company will receive an investment of up to $20M and will work together with Alibaba cloud to enable SQream’s GPU database as a cloud service offered to customers of Alibaba Cloud.
- Totango, a company focused on the Enterprise to Customer (E2C) solutions, has closed a $9M financing round from existing investors BGV, Canvas, Pitango, and Interwest, as well as new investor Grayhawk Capital.
- CartiHeal, a developer of an implant for treating osteoarthritic knees, has raised additional $2.5M investment from Bioventus, a global orthobiologics company.
M&A and IPOs
- IvyMark, which offers a set of business management tools and a community platform for interior designers, was acquired by Houzz, (which is now valued at $4 billion), where users plan and find people to complete home design projects, for a reported $35M. Houzz has stated that it has made the acquisition in order to expand its tools for interior designers, which are one of its most important groups of customers.
- Motus GI Holdings, which is developing a medical device to assist with intra-procedural colonoscopy cleaning, has raised $18M through an IPO representing a market value of $79M.
On behalf of everyone at iAngels, I’d like to thank you for tuning into our Deal Digest. If you’d like to receive a version direct to your inbox, please subscribe below.